Photo: Lime / Marat Abulhatin
The program for the conservation of the literary monuments on the territory of the Russian Federation Ministry of Culture plans to digitize all important books published before 1831. Access to the rarities receive all residents of large cities in the country, institutions that have a program National Digital Library. On this “News” told Head of the Department of Library Science and Education of the Ministry of Culture Evgeny Gusev.
– We expect that within program will be digitized most valuable specimens. Today, even if you are a researcher, you will not be allowed to old books, because they are all stored in special conditions – said Evgeny Gusev.
The rest of the book, does not pose a serious social or scientific value will be entered in the register of the literary monuments, which is compiled annually by the Ministry of Culture. Currently we are working to find valuable books, determining the necessary restoration and ways to further storage. The program is designed to digitize up to 2020.
– In every major library is the center to work with the old books, which is engaged in the identification and description of the literary monuments. It is a serious scientific work. Each year, the bill goes to the hundreds of new old books, – said Evgeny Gusev.
One of these centers – in Belgorod State Regional Scientific Library. Chief Librarian Tatiana Dogadina told “Izvestia” that in the near future will be the center of digitized medieval edition of Aristotle.
– Our pride – a collection of Aristotle 1552 which is printed in Switzerland in Basel. People are very happy when rare books you can browse on your computer – said Tatiana Dogadina. – All we have to digitize more than 8 thousand. Rare books, it’s work for years.
Head of Department of Libraries, Department of Education and Science, Ministry of Culture explained the “News” that the concept of “book monument” includes Later editions of so-called marginals (entries in the fields) famous people.
– Books of the XX century with marginalia Tsiolkovsky and Einstein also considered significant. What to say on selections of Pushkin in the books from the library Chaadaeva. Most of the work to be in the distant regions, because that is where today revealed the most interesting books – said Evgeny Gusev.
Expert in librarianship, the chief editor of the magazine Tatyana Filippova in conversation with “Izvestiya “questioned the methods of enforcement initiatives.
– A few years ago, Vladimir Putin signed a decree that the national electronic library should include 10% of all books published in the country. However, the effective selection criteria of these publications have not worked out, – recalled Tatiana Filippova.
According to the expert, the methods to identify the significance of the historical books also raise questions.
The writer Zakhar Prilepin named category of books that, in his opinion, will be digitized in the last turn.
– We are stored in libraries integer arrays an unknown Soviet literature, many authors which undeservedly forgotten . The same fate befell the populist literature – it is very rarely reprinted, and it would be good to put in electronic form – said the writer.
The program of the inventory of the literary monuments include the central library of the 45 subjects of the Russian Federation. According to a government contract, to December 15, 2014 working with book monument is planned to train at least 25 experts from each region.