SAINT-PETERSBURG, October 14. /TASS/. A memorial plaque to Finnish Marshal Carl Gustaf Mannerheim, taken on the evening of 13 October, with the building of the Military Academy of logistics of the defense Ministry on Zakharyevskaya street in the center of St. Petersburg, transferred to the Museum.
As reported on its official website, Russian military historical society (RVIA), the memorial complex became a Museum exhibit of the first world war in the Sovereign’s Martial chamber in Tsarskoye Selo. To restore it will not be to perpetuate the story erupted around the Board of public disputes.
“Memorial to Karl Mannerheim will be stored in the chamber of arms without restoration as a symbol of historical debate in modern Russian society”, – is spoken in the message of the RVIA.
Mannerheim in the world wars: hero and anti-hero
the company who installed the Board on 16 June confirms that initiated the transfer Board in an exhibit in the Military room.
IN RVIA explain that the decision is connected with the specifics of the Museum designed by Nicholas II, who was planning to organize a gallery of knights of St. George. Mannerheim was awarded the highest military award of the Russian Empire in September 1914, when in a battle led his troops to the attack and saved the Russian part of the environment. While the RVIA remind you about the participation of the Finnish army in the siege of Leningrad and about the role of Mannerheim as commander in chief in the process.
“a Controversial figure, Carl Mannerheim – the subject of study and discussions of historians, says the RVIA. – In this case illegal actions and “war monuments” – not method this discussion. The grave of Denikin and the memorial to the soldiers of the White army in the cemetery of the Donskoy monastery in Moscow, a monument to Admiral Kolchak in Irkutsk and Kolchak island in the Taimyr Bay of the future monument to Lieutenant General Wrangel in the Crimea, a memorial plaque for K. Mannerheim are steps towards reconciliation with the past, recognition of all its pages”.
the Museum “Russia in the great war” was opened in Tsarskoe Selo in August of 2014. It is the country’s largest permanent exhibit dedicated to the First world war. The Museum’s collection includes about 2 thousand of artefacts, weapons, uniforms, medals, photographs, documents, largely formed by voluntary donations.
Disputes about the historical error
the possibility of removing the Board with the house on Zakharyevskaya street was discussed in St. Petersburg since the end of August.
the Council by a plaque under the government of St. Petersburg refused to recognize this memorial sign a memorial Board because of a few violations. As reported previously TASS in city Committee on culture, the text contains an error, incorrect data, and missing address binding, and the installation of the sign has not been provided any documents.
the text the Board approved that Mannerheim served in the Russian army from 1887 to 1918. At the same time, we know that in December 1917, General, not accepting the revolution, returned to Finland, which became an independent country. The plate was installed on the site of the former barracks of the cavalry guard of Empress Maria Feodorovna regiment, where Mannerheim had served from 1891 to 1897, after graduating from the Nikolaev military Academy. Its installation caused a strong protest of many members of the public.
the Main argument against perpetuating his memory in St. Petersburg – part of the Finnish army in the siege of Leningrad and the role of Mannerheim as commander in chief in this process, as well as a direct contact with Adolf Hitler, who on 4 June 1942 was a guest at the 75th anniversary of the Finnish Marshal. The plate was repeatedly subjected to attacks by the activists of her poured paint, cut with an axe, maybe, fired, and tried to dismantle.